February 8, 2008

Visit with Amy Franceschini



In January I had a one-on-one meeting with Amy. I showed her images from The MOST's website and told her about how I am currently trying to figure out how to explain Mostlandia to people who have never experienced it. One thing I noticed during her visit is that Amy takes notes while people talk to her about their work. I appreciated this listening approach. You're talking and she's scribbling furiously but not interrupting. It made for an interesting discussion - some of the notes were just information and other bits were questions.

Her notes for me were:
- The MOST could consider developing and providing workshops as a way of generating some income and sustaining ourselves.
- We should consider the "colonial" aspects of having boundaries or not having boundaries
- Touchy-feely (We discussed how a lot of the kind of work being created by so-called social practice artists these days has a touchy-feely, or feel-good aspect to it. Is it true that the only way people can interact in more generative/open ways these days is through these mediated activities? Aside from the fun aspect of Mostlandia, is there something I am interested in learning about or cultivating?)
- Sami
- Portugese exhibit at Yerba Buena approximately 8 years ago

The most intriguing aspect of this visit for me was discussing what part of making work with The MOST interests me the most aside from the part where we engage with our audience. I think that I am most interested in learning more about how other artists work collaboratively: how they make decisions, resolve conflicts, come up with ideas and execute projects. Amy looked surprised and said that she is pretty sure she knows the answers to those questions within her group Future Farmers, but that the group had never acknowledged it.

No comments: