April 8, 2008

MIBEM



Another thing I did in while I was away was go to a night of the Melbourne International Biennial of Exploratory Music. One of my favorite pieces was by Lukas Simonis from Rotterdam, pictured below.


Trying to write about this kind of music makes me feel illiterate, however I will say that he had an impressive understanding of silence. That, and he was adept at using a flourescent green toothbrush with a guitar.



Other musicians playing during the night I attended were:
- Jérôme Noetinger, who theatrically made amazing sounds come from a reel to reel tape player,
- A band called POST, or maybe a person playing with a band who is known in solo as POST, who switched back and forth between sound pieces and country music
-David Chesworth & Sonia Leber, who filled the room with sounds of a group of 5 women making sighing sounds at intermittant intervals built up and overlapped over time
and
-DJ Downpat. An interesting turn in events lead me to meet Pat at a friend's birthday party. When he found out I was from Portland, he asked me to hand-deliver a letter to Mississippi Records. The letter is kind of like a fan letter mixed with a request to be able to distribute their music out of an artist run space in Melbourne. Not only that, but Pat was generous to give both me and Mississippi a free CD. Yay! I am enjoying the intrigue of being a carrier pigeon of sorts, and will update the blog once I know what happens with the whole transaction.

No comments: