May 7, 2008

Collaboration Research

Shelby and I had a great conversation about defining collaboration during the post-lecture dinner we had on Monday. He has been thinking a lot about collaboration because he has been working with friends and family to co-create his MFA thesis and made the astute suggestion that I post some of the reading I'm doing on my blog. Great idea, Shelby!

In Melbourne, I met a guy named Mark Elliott who had just completed a PhD developing a general theory of stygmergic collaboration. If you want to know what stygmergy is, you might just have to read about it. I have to say I'm only about 30 pages into this 220pg. document, but I'm loving his thoroughness both in trying to define the difference between cooperation, coordination and collaboration, as well as in discussing the ways in which various disciplines such as IT, business and sociology define collaboration based on what their foci are. I'm also really loving all of Mark's flow charts describing the difference between all of those "C" words. I'd recommend checking out his dissertation as well as some of the projects he did leading up to his writing.
Mark has lots of weblinks to his writing and various projects that can be reached from this page:
http://mark-elliott.net/view/Dissertation
In the spirit of looking at students' blogs, here's a link to the blog he kept while working on his PhD: http://stigmergiccollaboration.blogspot.com/

I am also currently reading a book put out by Temporary Services called Group Work published by Printed Matter.

And finally, Eric Steen pointed me to a website called collabarts.org

1 comment:

Shelby said...

youre the shiznit katie-O