January 5, 2009

Golden Beets


I am having a love affair with golden beets at the moment. I made some on New Year's Day and can't seem to get enough. This may seem unrelated to my studies, however, I've found that after eating a serving of beets each day of the new year, I've been able to finally start accomplishing some things I hadn't been able to do over the past few months - including post updates on this blog, respond to some lingering emails, organize some of the neglected cabinets/storage places in my house, etc. My chinese medicine doctor would say that this decisiveness has to do with the beet's positive influence on the chi of my gall bladder. I say, whatever it is, feed me more beets.

My current affair was inspired by two christmas gifts: Michal Pollan's In Defense of Food and The Greens Cookbook. I am intrigued with Pollan's instructions to eat food, mostly vegetables and less of it, and the Winter Vegetables with Mustard Tarragon Vinaigrette seemed like the perfect place to start. It was!

Since then, I've also discovered a couple of tasty ways to prepare beet greens here and here.

No comments: