October 17, 2007

Consensus Workshops

I've spent the last week preparing for a Consensus Workshop with the Social Practice (SP) people. We are all working on a proposal for a public art opportunity available in the Tri-Valley area of Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore in California.

I spent probably 6 hours preparing for the first workshop - reviewing my training workbook, preparing materials for use during the workshop, and writing and re-writing the intro and ending focused conversations that would bookend the workshop to give it depth and meaning.

Funny thing is that after the first Workshop, the group wanted another one, the very next day, and one the day after that. So, when I'm not working, sleeping or eating during the last 3 days, I've spent my time trying to figure out the proper context for the next conversation to lead with the group. How do I find a way to talk about where we're coming to with our next conversation without limiting it or directing it beyond where the group has already agreed to go?

I am getting a lot of positive feedback, and so I think what I'll do is write up the focused conversations I've lead, as well as the outcomes in my following blogs - once I have time to stop writing focused conversations and leading consensus workshops.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

What I've noticed so far is that this group has a lot of energy and that they are good listeners. No one seems to need to have their own way at the expense of everyone else, and that's encouraging.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

i'm very interested in all this and (as a studio kid) feel a little sad to be left out. but as long as you are on the job filling me in i can live vicariously and i'll try not to pout.

Unknown said...

Right now we have all of our work posted all over the walls of ART 330. Lots of columns of 3x5 cards and sticky notes